Functional Skills - English
At entry level, students learn to speak, listen, communicate, read and write with increasing clarity, accuracy and effectiveness at each level. They will learn how to:
- Listen, understand and respond to verbal communication in a range of familiar contexts.
- Obtain an understanding of everyday words including their uses and effects and apply this understanding in different contexts.
- Read with accuracy, straightforward texts encountered in everyday life and work, and develop confidence to read more widely.
- Write straightforward texts and documents with clarity and effectiveness, and will demonstrate a sound grasp of spelling, punctuation and grammar.
At Level 1, students learn to speak, listen, communicate, read and write clearly, accurately, confidently and with effectiveness. They will learn how to:
- Listen, understand and make relevant contributions to discussions with others in a range of contexts.
- Apply their understanding of language to adapt delivery and content to suit audience and purpose.
- Read a range of different text types confidently and fluently, applying their knowledge and understanding of texts to their own writing.
- Write texts of varying complexity, with accuracy, effectiveness, and correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Understand the situations when, and audiences for which, planning, drafting and using formal language are important, and when they are less important.
Accredited by City and Guilds