All young people are supported by the in-house Therapy Team and have access to Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy, as required. Targets relating to therapy are embedded and delivered holistically across all areas of the residential programme.
Therapies work collaboratively to remove barriers to learning and independence. Occupational Therapy and Speech and Language Therapy empower students throughout their time at Aurora Foxes and beyond, with psychological and behavioural support provided on an individual basis, as required.
Occupational Therapy (OT) compliments the work carried out in all of Foxes’ residential houses and at our Hotel. OT is a “doing” therapy enabling learners to gain the skills necessary to carry out everyday activities. Our OT team works alongside staff to assist them in teaching these skills, using a range of techniques following careful observation and assessment of a student’s individual needs.
Therapy at Foxes supports the following areas of speech, language and communication:
- Understanding language including auditory and visual processing, following instructions, understanding questions and concepts
- Using language including semantics (meaning), grammatical elements (e.g. prepositions), sentence construction and narrative
- Social skills including problem-solving, assertiveness skills, understanding and using body language and emotions
- Speech sounds and stammering are supported so that individuals are able to communicate to the best of their ability in a variety of environments
- Use of Alternative Augmentative Communication (AAC) such as communication books, PECs, Somerset Total Communication (STC) symbol and signing